About the Role
Essential Functions: The Bessie Smith Cultural Center: Chattanooga African American
Museum is seeking a part-time Guest Services Coordinator.
• Answer phones and manage incoming communications (email, phone, post, fax) and
directs to appropriate staff as needed
• Perform general clerical duties (i.e., oversee and maintain inventory of office supplies
and Gift Shop)
• Ensures the efficient use and scheduling of all facility rentals by serving as the primary
point of contact, and maintain an up-to-date calendar of all events and determines (with
President) appropriate use of the rental spaces
• Handle front desk ticket sales cash flow, request change for drawer from accounting
office as needed and prepare the daily cash report
• Displays knowledge of Chattanooga and can answer general questions about the BSCC,
the city, give directions and assist visitors as needed
• Greet media and alert the appropriate staff, and the President; distribute press materials if
• Promote and sell BSCC memberships; Assist with membership program with a goal to
increase membership revenue
• Refer visitors to appropriate staff (Curator) regarding donations of artifacts and archival
• Assist in running and maintaining the BSCC social media pages (Twitter, Instagram, and
• Answer questions regarding tours and scheduling of tours in accordance with Tour
Guides’ schedules, also maintain calendar of tours
• Work occasional nights and weekends for special events or projects
• Maintain a professional appearance and demeanor
• Maintain and update newsletter database; assist with creating and sending out monthly
newsletters (Constant Contact)
• Assist with museum open and close procedures
• Other duties as assigned
Customer focus, Organization, Detail-Oriented, Verbal Communication and Interpersonal Skills, Microsoft Office, Team Player, Time Management, Cash handling
• Strong organizational skills that reflect ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks seamlessly with excellent attention to detail.
• Very strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build relationships with visitors, external partners and donors.
Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, with a diverse group of people
Highly resourceful team-player, with the ability to work independently.
Proven ability to handle confidential information with discretion, be adaptable to various competing demands and demonstrate the highest level of customer service and response.
Ability to keep financial records and perform mathematical tasks
High level computer skills (Microsoft Office, Google Drive, etc.)
Must be dependable • Knowledge of popular social media platforms (Twitter, Instagram, etc.)
Previous experience and knowledge of data-entry
Must be able to multi-task, function as part of a close-knit team, and enjoy working with the public • Knowledge of Design/Graphics software a plus
Ability to react positively to a rapidly changing work environment
Professional demeanor and appearance
Education and Experience Requirements
• High School Diploma
• Experience in a work environment that is customer oriented • Strong work tenure: 1-3 years’ experience in a similar position
• 2 years minimum customer service experience
It is an undisputed fact that African Americans have fought for freedom, served as wilderness guides, labored as slaves, and forged paths as early educators and politicians, and yet still today little is actually documented or understood about the roles they played.
The Bessie Smith Cultural Center/Chattanooga African American Museum is on a mission to change that. Our goal is to tell the true story of not only African Americans in history but also those currently making history.